Lived experience speakers play an important role in representing community understanding of suicide and its impacts.
Appropriately trained speakers are strong advocates to include in suicide prevention planning and can assist in reducing stigma and improving knowledge and understanding of suicide in Australia.
The lived experience community provides valuable insights into suicide prevention initiatives, projects and programs.
Speakers with lived experience can help to:
- improve community understanding of suicide
- correct myths and stereotypes about suicide
- reduce fear, shame and stigma around suicide
- increase understanding of the challenges experienced by someone with lived experience of suicide or caring for someone with lived experience
- encourage people vulnerable to or at risk of suicide to seek treatment and support early if they think they may be unwell or someone they know is unwell
- provide people with accurate information about suicide related issues.